10/7/08

Creating Comics #3: Class Begins Next Week

I've been busy crossing t's and dotting i's on my syllabus for the class I'm teaching this fall at the Newburyport Adult & Continuing Education Center called Creating Comics! Scriptwriting for Comics and Graphic Novels.

I've planned a six week survey course to cover a number of topics relevant to writing for sequential art. The class will be a mix of mini-lectures, comics and comics literature discussion, short writing exercises, homework readings, and workshopping of student scripts. The culminating project for my students will be to leave class with a finished 8-page comic script ready to be handed to an artist.


Here are the major topics I'll cover over the six-week course:


Week 1

Talking Comics: The Terminology of Visual Storytelling

What Does a Comic Script Look Like?

Week 2

Sequential Storytelling Tips and Tricks:
Smooth Transitions & Word/Image Relationship

Week 3

Creating & Writing Great Characters


Week 4

Genres & Style & Form

Print Vs. Digital

Week 5

Comics Collaborations: Working with artists to achieve your vision


Week 6

Good Writing Means Re-writing: Refining & revising

Comics Marketing: Marketing your comic and yourself


If any readers have suggestions on must-read materials, books, links, etc. on any of those topics I'd love to hear them.


My class begins next
Tuesday, October 14. For more information on the class, go here.

No comments: