12/4/08

Creating Comics #4: One class ends...

Last Tuesday I had my final Creating Comics! class. As I mentioned previously, I started teaching a 6-week course on comic book script writing. Despite getting off to a rocky start, due largely to confusion regarding the content of the course (comics meaning comic books and strips, not comics meaning comedians) it was a great experience overall. There are some things I'd certainly like to do better next time. I definitely spend more time focusing on story structure, as that's been a big personal focus of mine as of late. But overall, for a pilot course, I'm happy with how it went.

Teaching the class came at a much needed time for me, and getting away from life and just talking comics with an interesting groups was a much needed respite. I'm sad to see the class end. However...

I'm happy to announce that come the last week in January, I'll be able to scratch my comics teaching itch once more. I'll be teaching a class once a week at a local after school program for students grades 6-8. I'm very excited about this, considering that was the age at which I first started making comics myself. So, right now I'm pulling together my syllabus for Creating Comics! Middle School Edition! More on this, sure to follow.

!

1 comment:

Doug said...

I didn't know this, very cool!? Maybe those imaginative young minds will give you some great ideas!