4/3/09

Boston Comic Con: This Weekend!

The Boston Comic Con is this weekend!

I'm expecting a huge turnout at the Back Bay Events Center (180 Berkeley St, Boston, MA) this Saturday and Sunday. I'm expecting this to be the biggest show I've done to date, so obviously, I'm bringing more product to the show than ever before.

Here are five things I'm looking forward to:

1.) Debuting Tyler James Comics Presents...Vol. 1. This Boston Comic Con Exclusive book will be unveiled for the first time at this weekend's show. I love this book, and it represents a good portion of the work I've been up to over the past 8 months or so, and my first professional collaborations with a number of extremely talented artists. I'm actually kicking myself for not doubling my print run, because I think this book is going to sell very well. (Knock on wood.) Actually, I'd be surprised if there are copies left by Sunday. (Knock, Knock on wood.)

2.) Catch up with local creators. I'm looking forward to talking to a number of local creators who I seem to only see at the cons. I didn't get a chance to check out Chris Gibbs' CounterTERROR sketch at the last con I was at, but he's planning on bringing it to this weekend's show. I'm hoping to talk to some of the Boston Comics Roundtable guys and check out their new book. And I'm looking forward to meeting new people this year as well.



3.) Hand over those FREE SKETCHES. I said I was going to do five, I ended up doing ten free sketches to people who contacted me requesting them. So, I'll have a nice stack of sketches to hand out over the weekend. This was a thoroughly successful promotion. I got to draw some characters I've never drawn before (everyone from Rorschach to Kitty Pride to Darth Vader) and I'll be able to give some comic fans a one of a kind take away from the Boston show. Everybody wins.

4.) Talk to Whilce Portacio. The Image founder is going to be there. I'm hoping to get him to sign my Wetworks #1 (Vol. 1) and to pick up his new Spawn book and get an autograph on that as well. I'm a big fan of his work, and he was definitely a "big get" for the Boston show.

5.) Take my table to the next level. Each con I've been stepping my table up just a little bit. This show, I've had some high quality "Tyler James Comics" signs made, so I'll be easy to spot, and I'm going to be doing some things with my table arrangement to try to make it a bit more eye catching to attendees. I'll have pictures, don't worry. We'll see how it turns out.

No comments: