5/1/09

Free Comic Book Day Tomorrow May 2!

Yup, you heard that right. Free! Every year, comic shops around the nation hand out tons of free comics on the first Saturday of May. This year, there are more than 40 titles being given out for free...pretty much something for everyone.

I'm planning on stopping by a number of shops during the day. I'm especially looking forward to The Avengers book by Brian Bendis and Jimmy Cheung. I heard Bendis glowing the other day on how this book has the best work of Cheung's career. I'm a big fan of Jimmy's work and think he's a phenomenal artist, so it's a must have.

The other blockbuster book dropping tomorrow is Blackest Night #0. Now, I'm not a huge fan of the DCU, and don't know if I've picked up an issue of Green Lantern since I was six years old. However, all indications point to this series being a blockbuster. I haven't read a ton of his work but Geoff Johns is one of the most respected writers over at DC. Likewise, I haven't seen much of Ivan Reis' work, but it looks pretty good.

Resurrection #0 by Mark Guggenheim, from Oni Press, looks interesting. And I'm definitely down with seeing what's up with The Savage Dragon these days.

Dark Horse is putting out a free Aliens / Predator book which could be fun. (Those comics always were better than the movies.) Arcana Studios Presents contains four stories in one, and has some Koni Waves written by a friend, Mark Poulton. Very cool for him to have his book get a high profile national distribution.

There's also a Wolverine book that coincides nicely with this weekend's big movie release. And, for the kids, there's Disney/Pixar's Cars #1, which I've heard is actually pretty great.

So, in short, hit up a comic shop this weekend. Take at kid along with you. You can't beat free.

To find a participating Free Comic Book Day shop near you, use this store locator.

No comments: